Day 1137 – Big Tent Day

Many of the assembled Hitchhikers departed today, and we are now down to 4 rigs.  It is strangely empty now, with three couples at the campfire tonight.  David is still out there, as we “speak”, likely talking solar water heaters or some new project.

The day started with a lot of goodbyes to the people who were heading on to their next stop.  Some were going to sticks and bricks, some to their home “parks”, and some others, on to wherever the wind takes them.  Speaking of wind, it was cold and breezy this morning, so everyone was bundled and didn’t linger long.

Once we got a good frost on, David, Kathie and I decided to go for a walk. We happened upon the rig of a couple that David and I really enjoyed talking with at the Amazon booth a couple of days ago.  They have a custom built truck which carries their two Harleys, as well as a very large Montana 5th wheel.  We spent 15 minutes or so with them, then hurried back home to have some breakfast, shower, and head to the big Tent.

It was past noon when we finally go into Quartzsite.  We met up with our friend Linda, who we have not seen since the passing of her husband John. (Well, we did see her briefly the other day when we were at work, but that didn’t count.) She is one of our favorite people that we have met on the road, and it was good to see her again.  She brought her 8 month old puppy, Hope, with her to the tent.  The four of us walked around and decided that the tent was just too full of people avoiding the wind, so we headed out.  As we walked the perimeter, we saw this guy who was really enjoying his ice cream cone.  The line for these cones is always long, regardless of how cold it is outside.  And that explains the feature photo of the day!

Kathie and I shared an Indian Taco, David lost us for a bit, we found out that we have one more day (Saturday) of work at the Amazon booth, and we were done with the tent.

The La Posa South LTVA has water, sewer and garbage drop, so we headed there to fill up the containers in the back of the truck.  We don’t drink this water, but we use it for everything else.  The drinking water was refilled at the Salt Free Water kiosk, and then we headed back home.

Kathie had a note on her door reminding her that she had a dinner date at 4:00 pm at the Solo’s.  Of course, we got home around 5:30, so that was a bust.

Dinner tonight was a vegan Cornbread Casserole:

  • 15 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
  • 15 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 1-2 tablespoon(s) raw sugar (optional)
  • ¾ cup nondairy milk
  • ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

Note: Any bell pepper will work here, but green bell peppers will provide the most authentic experience since they are a key part of the “holy trinity” in Cajun cuisine.

Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease a square 8 or 9-inch baking pan or casserole dish.
Drain tomato juices into a skillet and chop tomatoes into smaller pieces, and set aside.
Add water as necessary until a thin layer of liquid covers the skillet.
Sauté onion, celery, garlic and bell peppers over high heat until onions are translucent, bell peppers are tender and all of the water has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
Turn off heat and mix in Cajun Seasoning, tomatoes and kidney beans, stirring to combine, and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk cornmeal, baking powder, salt and additional Cajun Seasoning if desired (several dashes so the flour looks speckled when stirred). You can also add 1-2 tablespoon(s) of sugar for a sweet cornbread topping. Then stir in nondairy milk and applesauce. It should be thick, but spreadable like hummus and not dry.
Pour bean mixture into your baking dish and pat down firmly with a spatula. Spread cornbread mixture on top and bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cornbread is a deep golden, cracked and firm to the touch. Let sit out for about 15 minutes before serving (it continues to firm as it cools). Serve with hot sauce, such as Tabasco, on the table.

And that has now brought us full circle for the day.

Oh, and one last item from today: David and I accepted a positions at the Bar Harbor KOA Oceanside/Woodlands for the summer season. ( and We are very excited to get a chance for our first job at a campground, and for it to be in the KOA system. Now you will HAVE to come see us this summer!

I’m glad we could have this chat,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *